What About Mobiles?

Remember making and playing with mobiles when you were a kid?

Last year, my family and I went to the Calder Exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute Art and I fell in love with mobiles again.
In line with some of my new years un-resolutions, I am going to try to come up with some new products - right now I'd really like to try my hand at mobiles.

These photos aren't very good but they show a start!...

I found this great store south of Milwaukee called American Science and Surplus. A great resource for "green crafts". I found old airline food trays (I want to jazz up), beakers, chemistry sets, plastic tubing and a large assortment of odds and ends that can reused in a variety of ways. They even give you great ideas!

To start on these mobiles, I found wire in like lengths at ASS. I bent them and curled their ends to create hooks to hold whatever my mobiles will hold. The paper mache ornaments have yet to be decorated, but I'm picturing origami paper or neat fabric. The finished product will have a few more elements to it, but I like its bones.

Comments