It made me think about the things that made me hum...
- Idea Books. I was given a beautiful empty journal with thick card stock pages and that was the beginning of the end. I cut, tear and rip out photos, magazine articles, draw, trace and make photocopies of unique things. Now, three overstuffed Idea Books later, if I ever get into a creative rut, I reference my personal inspiration books. My girls love paging through the journals, taking in all the sketches, pictures and eye popping colors.
- I surround myself with pictures while I work. I cram as much as I can on my bulletin boards. These look neat, because we just moved and I haven't had the time to mess it up yet!
- I get inspired by others that have gone before me. Below is a collection of my grandmothers Bridge cards she hand made for her girlfriends for their rousting games of bridge. I also have bits of her crochet work, her favorite yarn and old knitting needles. She definitely help to plant the seed of creativity in me. (That's a picture of my mother in her wedding dress with my grandma - she looks stunning!)
- I love repetition in objects. I love making statements with things... big or subtle.
- I love shiny metal and sparkly gems. It doesn't matter if it is gold or silver, I just like it bright and pretty. I picked this chandelier at Ikea and always have it hanging over my work space. It makes me feel very grown up and sophisticated... in a make-believe sort-of-way.
- And lastly, I completely surround myself in color. I was picking through my bobbins today and thought this collection of spools looked so cute. The colorful collection makes you want to try experimenting with all sorts of new combinations.