Craft #2: scrappy wristband

I have to be honest. I am a fabric junkie. I collect bits and pieces. Once, about a year ago, I actually paid a fair amount of money for a PIECE of a kimono (Japanese robe). I collect Asian prints, leathers, fleece, felt, cottons and silks. I just can't stop. Last year, I remember a check out lady at Mill End Outlet (Eden Prairie) asking me what I was going to do with this beautiful mirrored, two-toned acetate. I was embarrassed to tell her, "I have no idea. I just need it".
Well, in keeping with my effort to create without purchasing, I found a great way to use my cotton, stabilizer and felt fabrics.
How about this bracelet for little ones?
First I started with a two-sided strip of cotton ( about 10" x 1 1/2 "), ironed on stabilizer (stabilizer is always key - I hate using wimpy fabric for kids), then satin stitched the edges. On the opposite sides of both ends, I ironed (and stitched) on small squares of Velcro. For the flower, I just fooled around with my left-over felt scraps and put together this collection of fabrics and shapes, capped off with a button for the center of the flower. It's stitched to the wristband (then hot glued a little for added stability). My favorite thing about this is the possibilities are endless. You could create a fabric watch, super hero wristbands, or using more Velcro, add interchangeable fabric objects.

Comments