My Oatmeal Kick... Fast

Every time autumn rolls around, I get this craving for real oatmeal. I'm not talking about mushy, quick cooking oats that come in the round box with the funny looking man on it. I mean REAL oats - steel cut oats.  They look like this... (McCann's is a favorite) hard little cut pellets that take a solid 45 minutes to cook.


Now, I've discovered a faster way to cook the good stuff. The night before I want oatmeal, I simply measure out 6 cups of water and set it to boil. I add 1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats to the boiling water and let it roll for one minute. Now turn off the heat and leave it overnight covered on your stove top. The next morning, the oats will have absorbed most of the water and only need to be heated up for 10 minutes to a nice chewy consistency.

For a little added nourishment we add raw cranberries for those last 10 minutes.